The really nice Auto rickshaw wallah.

For all we know the rickshaw drivers aren't the most accepting lot we have in Mumbai. They have their own rules and will easily own a record of rejecting more people and crushing hopes, than that popular girl/guy in your college would have. Stereotyping compels me to tarnish an entire community but obviously not all of them are the same. Yet, we rant away in our glory and when the next rickshawallah tells us, "Nahi, Andheri nahi jayega"[Will not go to Andheri] , we mutter under our breath,"America jayega kya?"[Oh, so will you go to America?]

However, very recently I had a pleasant encounter with a nice rickshaw driver that completely reset my mood for that day.

It was just another day for me when I went down to the auto stand to take a ride to work. As usual the first two rick drivers refused to go. The third one said yes (to my relief) and welcomed me with a smile. He was an old man, cleaning his rickshaw and I was probably amongst his first few customers for the day. Obviously that smile did not break me( this was routine for me and I was worried about some work). He politely asked me if I had change cause he didn't have any. I told him, I did not have. So he stopped his rick at a tea-stall and told me that I could get some change here, to avoid problems later. I liked his patient nature, but wait-wasn't I in a hurry? I quickly went down to the stall, got change from a young boy who was running the shop and scrambled back into the rick, completely forgetting my manners. The rickshaw uncle, called out to the tea-stall boy from a distance and said," Thank you beta". That zapped me back to the present.

What is the hurry all about? I smiled.The day suddenly had a very positive start to it.

Finally, when we reached near my office, I paid him in change and thanked him for the ride( Btw I do that everytime).

There was a pile of stones in the way, that I would have to jump over to reach my office gate.
He asked me how will I pass them?
" Oh nothing, I'm gonna jump over it", I replied.
" Please take care beta", he promptly added.

That was definitely, one of the best customer service experiences ever. More than that, it also restores your faith in humanity. Mother Teresa once said," If you want world peace, go home and love your family". Profound, indeed.

It is as simple as that. Be kind in the smallest of deeds and I don't see any reason why the world needs to be bickering constantly.

 ******************
The above incident happened a few months ago. However, majority of the rickshaw drivers( at the stand I visit)  continue to remain those pathetic idiots they are. So. Arghhhhh!!




Comments

Popular Posts