San Francisco and more...

I've been wanting to write about my trip to the United States for quite a long time now. My earlier intention was to pen down a detailed travelogue, but a lot of time has passed and the details have blurred. So let me just pick the pieces.

 ****************

I was staying with a dear, childhood friend in San Francisco (SF). She lives in Mountain view. When I landed in SF, it had just rained and the entire terrain had changed. It was green and vibrant. Taller buildings and a bustling city life. We drove to her place from the airport in an Uber. Uber is so important in the States. People who do not have cars,take the Uber. Yeah, the public transport over there,really sucks. Which is definitely a flaw. What do you do when you are out on the road in the US? How do you reach from point A to B? Keep wondering. Be lost. Or call an Uber.

However, in my 3 days over there, Uber rides really grew on me. Mostly because of the chatty drivers. They are really pleasant (I presume, a part of their training for customer service). They will greet you when you enter, ask about your day or share their life experiences. It's nice you know. You listen to stories. You grow. On other occasions, it can also get tedious. Because each time you get into a cab, you aren't going for a picnic right? Sometimes you just want quiet and you don't want to be rude about it.

Mountain View is about 45 minutes from the SF city. I believe lack of public transport makes everything look far. But for people who live in Mumbai and know how it could take almost  2 hours to reach from A to B within the city itself, this distance was absolutely nothing. My friend stays in a beautiful studio apartment in Mountain view. It was a quiet place, beautiful and very serene. It was close to the Silicon Valley. That's why she lives there, it's near to her work. I fell in love with the area. It was the kind of place I wouldn't mind living in, either.

On Day 1, we took the CalTrain (Oh yes,they have trains, I sighed! Double-Decker. But the frequency sucks) to reach San Francisco - the city. We had lunch at Chinatown and later walked towards Lombard Street. It was great. This city has life! For the uninitiated, SF is known for its steep roads that curve up and downhill all parallel to each other. Lombard is the world's crookedest street. When we reached the top at Lombard, the sight was beautiful. You could see the entire city from there. If you looked left , you could see another view of the city that stretches into the sea. And you will see Alcatraz right in the middle- guarded well away from the people of the land, holding a rich history behind it's walls. And, if you decided to descend below, on your left you would see it- The Golden Gate Bridge. Red across the twilight sky and above the blue sea. What a beautiful sight! 





We later walked down near the coast, now closer to the sea and the Golden Gate, with Ghirardelli behind us. We took a cable car ride and the night had almost fallen. The cable car took us around the city and over the steep roads.

The moon was full and up in the sky. I was lucky to be there on a full moon night because let me tell you something. San Francisco is simply out of the world on a full moon night. Or let me put it the correct way. The moon looks remarkably spectacular in the city of San Francisco. It was brighter, bigger and for some reason looked closer to the earth. Pasted across the sky, watching it from the top of the winding roads makes it an  experience I will never forget.I think, it almost defines the city.

Coming from a city like Mumbai, you always tend to search for a 'soul' or life in the newer cities you visit (a boon and a curse- both). And SF, definitely features in my list of one of the most soulful places with a distinctive charm to it. The remaining days were spent exploring the place in and around, which was a wonderful experience for me. Walking down the streets of SF, stopping by Fisherman's Wharf, eating shrimps and a bread bowl full of soup, sitting on the bench by the sea. Good company and the moonlit sky. It is a time, I will always cherish.




P.S: Do you know about  my love for the show Full House? I think the fact that it was shot in SF makes me love it more too!

Comments

Popular Posts