A travel up north

In one of my earlier posts, I had decided I would write a travelogue for my trip to Singapore. However, that never happened. Probably, because it was not a 'trip' by any means. It was a learning journey. A long one. Exciting. A new life. To much to be penned down into words.

Nonetheless, I took a short break recently, travelling all the way up north of our country. So, I would like to write about that, my own style.When my father decided he particularly wanted to see Chandigarh and Amritsar and was going off on his own, I jumped into his plan.
Well, I was always intrigued by Punjab ( Thanks to Bollywood :P) and what better chance could I get to step on that land than this? Okay, let a lazy person like me make a confession. The only reason I decided to go was because we managed to get tickets for Rajdhani and Duronto ( superfast trains- I get insanely tired if train journeys are long :P)

--So, off we went to Chandigarh first. What do I say about that city? Beautiful. So clean. So plannned. Such wide roads. Such a decent crowd. It's easily one of the most liveable cities of the country. when we first arrived in the city it did not seem new. Sectors and planned complexes is something Navi Mumbai is well known for too. So Chandigarh mostly seemed like a place I came from. However, Chandigarh is more vast in terms of width of road, area and land. We in Navi Mumbai have smaller roads and more people. Chandigarh is much more cleaner and greener. And yes, Chandigarh crowd is much more decent and quiet as compared to Delhi ( Delhi public sucks !). Now there is nothing much for 'sight -seeing' in this city. There is a Rock garden, Sukhna Lake and Rose Garden. In case you are planning to go up north to Himachal or Punjab make a one day stop over to this city. It's worth a day's visit only.

Chalo enough. Pictures!!

Chandigarh di Galliyaan 


Rock Garden!

Made of Bangles!

-- Shimla was our next stop. I have to admit I was disappointed with Shimla as a hill station. It is too commercialized. With so many hotels and people. And few spots to see. Nonetheless, it is beautiful. And the cold. And the winter. Me love. On our way back we met a man hailing from Himachal. He validated my thoughts by saying that "Himachal mein dekhna hain toh Dharamsala dekho, manali etc". Shimla itna khaas nahi"

Okay, okay. Ab Shimla ki burai nahi kar rahi hun. Acha hi hain.. Bas hindi filmo ne over hype kar rakha hain jagah ko. Pictures!


Snow capped peaks

Christ Church

The city

--Chalo Amritsar yaaran! Travelling to Punjab was exactly like they show in movies or talk about. All you see is vast lands covered with fields( sarson de khet etc). And people talking in Punjabi. Sweet people mostly :) It's a relatively cheaper city- Amritsar.Of course the mandatory eating at Punjabi dhabas was done.

Golden Temple was simply WOW. And the whole ride upto Wagah border where you reach the end of the nation touching Pakisan- so exhilirating! One of the best experiences of life I must say.
Let me put in a little about Wagah border here. Both India and Pakistan have a retreat ceremony from 4:30 pm to 5 pm everyday.There is a little parade and both the national flags are de-hoisted. This ceremony is open to all and free of cost. All you have to do is reach before time. Atleast by 3:30 because crowds are crazy. And you wont get a place if you are late. Funnily the people on the other side of the border don't show up in as large numbers as we Indians too. Apna crowd toh parade ground par hi utar gaya tha ;) But yes, the enthusiasm from both sides was remarkable! And you are instantly reminded of our history. And the sad dispute between the two nations. And how the people are innocently oblivious to all of it. Oh yes! I actually saw the land of Pakistan and the people on the other side! That place exists! Its not a myth you read in the papers or hear about :P 

One of the most remarkable experiences of my life :D 

Pictures jee.. oye jee oye!
Wagah!

Golden Temple!

--Last stop- Delhi.Okay, so I have been to Delhi before and we had half a day here before we got our return train. So we just spent it going around Chandi Chowk. Eating at the famous paranthe waali gali- paranathas , rabdi as well as at Kareems. Delhi ka crowd toh thugne waala hi hain. But sheher mein koi ajeeb sa charm hain. When you walk past Red fort or Jama masjid, kya feel aati hain. 

Ek hi photu hain. Paranthe waali gali ka. This shop is open since 1878 and famous for its paranthas. Visited by people like Indira Gandhi to Akshay Kumar and now me, of course  :P

Dilli-6!
**************************

Travelling around the country across states like this only makes you realize how vast India is. It brings a sense of appreciation for our land. And how rich we are. Coming back to work makes you feel nothing like that.

Anyway, until next time. Satsryikal!






Comments

Popular Posts