Facebook Shacebook Hayyo Rabba

Today is the 1st of February 2014 and it is exactly 31 days since I've been off Facebook. Bahh ! I do not want to make it sound like a big achievement and honestly, it is not.Nor do I intend to give Facebook any undue importance or conversely, even deride it for that matter.

I belong to that category of people who spend a healthy amount of time online - surfing the internet, chatting or accessing social websites.Since I belong to the 90's generation, I picked up this habit only during my degree college and so, thankfully, have a wonderful childhood to look back to. It was in December last year, that I decided to go off Facebook completely. I realized I was spending a lot of time in the virtual sphere and it was getting the better of me,maybe.At work I spent all the time in front of my laptop and I did not want to do the same at home for mindless activities. 

Anyway, I decided to give it a try and what better way to start off than with the new year? So cometh 1st January and I deactivated my account. Surprisingly or not, I haven't missed Facebook even once after that. No, I never felt like logging into my account again. I spent the new year taking an off from work and spending some quiet time at home. I watched several animated movies which I took from my team-mate , met some friends and enjoyed me-time.

As days passed by, I grew out of Facebook. Now, when I look at people aimlessly browsing it in trains, liking posts etc, it makes me smile inside.I find it futile. No, I am not trying to say what they are doing is wrong or ridiculous.It is exactly what I used to do before.It is just that I don't see the sense in it anymore -making your life revolve around a reality that may not even exist. Don't I sound like someone who was a drug addict and is fresh out of rehab?

Having said enough,I had only temporarily suspended activity from Facebook and I do intend to reactivate my account.However, I am enjoying my stay away from it right now. The only few times when I feel I should instantly return is when I end up chatting with a friend over LinkedIn simply because I am off Facebook and he is off Gtalk! *sigh*



Comments

Popular Posts