That 70's Post!

I've binge-watched a lot of television series this year. If you do follow my posts, you'd notice I occasionally write about it too. In fact, a trend with all of these shows is that I end up falling head over heels in love with every show I choose. Yeah and it's suddenly the 'bestest' show I have ever. seen. So talking about the last show that I watched and went completely crazy about is "That 70's Show." So much, that I am dedicating a post to it.

This show is certainly not like any other sitcom out there. I don't really know what caught my attention throughout 8 seasons but I liked the period set up( 70's era) and the imperfect lives of the quirky characters who lived through the series. None of the characters are perfect and that in many ways makes the show so real. I think problems youth face while growing up remains the same irrespective of the era you talk about. But the 70's definitely seemed like a trend setting era.

The show is themed revolving around the life of Eric Forman and his friends who are always over his place. Eric's father is a brilliantly sketched character who is soft hearted with a tough exterior. Yeah, he gives Eric a hard time which contributes to his awkwardness and rebellion.( But isnt that how most of us teenagers feel?) Eric's friend Hyde is a rebel who thinks the government is out there to get everyone.. He is a non conformist. ( Do I like him or what). He also loves rock music and is seen wearing rock band t shirts. Which brings me to music. The 70's saw bands like Pink floyd, Bee Gees, metallica, Iron Maiden( to name a few) peak in their careers. What a path breaking era! ( P.S: I do enjoy alternate rock though i'm not into metal). 
Eric's friend Donna is a strong lady who is a feminist. Yes feminism was on a rise in the 70s too, while her mom did not care much about it. Donna has strong views about life and yet is struggling to find where she is going. There is another female character named Jackie, who is a rich spoilt girl and bossy (stereotyped into the rich bitchy gals). 

Then there is Fez who is the foreign exchange student and is quirky as hell searching  his place in the stereotypes of America.  My favourite character is Michael Kelso played by Ashton Kutcher, who has done the most amazing job of being the pretty and dumb guy. He easily has the best lines which are funny yet true. In all his plainness, Kelso speaks his mind always, which most people would keep in their head out of fear or embarrassment.

The show has many trend setting concepts- one of the most famous ones being the "circle". A unique trait that became a defining attribute of the show.

This is definitely a different kind of a sitcom which I'd recommend you watch when you have the time. 

Meanwhile I wanted to collect and share a few quirky dialogues by Kelso that I absolutely enjoyed. (Well, there were too  many and for me this is Kutcher's best performance)

Here they go:-

1. You know what your problem is? I'm very good looking.

2. I knew you'd say that Donna. For once, why can't the naked thing and the right thing to do be the same thing?

3. I'm like ketchup. I go good on everything.

4. If this is about maturity, then I got nothing to do with it.

5. My mind's always doing things that even I don't know how about.

6.  This one below:-





7. Kelso: What is his name Jackie? Whom are you going out with?
    Jackie: His name is not important. What's important is that he is better than you in every  possible    conceivable way.
    Kelso: Damn Jackie! That could be anybody!

8. This Gif again:-



9.  Or the one when he did not hear what he wanted to..



10. When he was downright honest?



Well, the 70s show had a lot to offer. It certainly isn't like every other sitcom you see and it definitely did not falter with the period setting risk it took. It also helped me discover the city of Wisconsin which otherwise remained oblivious to my existence. Here's to hoping that someday i'd get to say " Helloo Wisconsiiiinnnnnn!! "

Comments

Popular Posts